Boat Accident Attorneys in Richmond & Tappahannock, Virginia
Central Virginia has a number of rivers, lakes, and other waterways that are popular for recreational boating. Indeed, there is often nothing more relaxing than to spend an afternoon on a boat enjoying the great outdoors. But unfortunately, that relaxation can quickly end if there is a serious boating accident.
Boats are like any other motor vehicle: When they are not operated in a safe manner, they can cause serious injury or death to innocent people. If you or someone that you love has been such a victim, Richmond boating accidents lawyer we can help. At Wind Law, LLC, we represent people who are seeking compensation from injuries caused by a preventable boating accident. Attorney Ryan Wind is a Virginia personal injury litigator with over a decade of experience in negotiating fair settlements on behalf of clients.
Negligence Is a Common Factor in Boating Accidents
Boating accidents in Virginia are often the result of negligence. This means the negligent party can be held legally responsible for any losses suffered by the accident victims. Some of the more common examples of how negligence causes or contributes to a boating accident include:
- Operator inattention. People often take a more laid-back and casual approach to operating a boat than when driving a car. This can easily lead to “distracted boating,” where the operator’s lack of attention causes the boat to collide with another vessel or stationary object, such as a dock.
- Failure to keep a proper lookout. Along similar lines, boat operators must constantly be keeping a lookout for other boats, people, and objects that may be in the water. In fact, many boating accidents are the result of a vessel capsizing when an inattentive operator tries to make a last-second turn to avoid a collision.
- Boating under the influence. While many people associate boating with recreational drinking, it is in fact just as much a crime to operate a boat while under the influence of alcohol or drugs as it is a car. And if boating under the influence leads to an accident, the operator’s intoxication is often cited as proof of their negligence.
- Speeding and violation of navigation rules. There are certain navigational “rules of the water” that boaters need to understand and follow. For example, if a boat is traveling at an excessive speed or fails to yield to another vessel with a right-of-way, that can lead to an accident.
- Mechanical failures. Even when an operator acts properly, a mechanical issue or failure with the boat itself may lead to an accident. In these cases it is often necessary to investigate the potential liability of the boat manufacturer or the vessel’s owner.
At Wind Law, LLC We Also Representing The Following Legal Services:
- ATV Accidents
- Back Injuries
- Bicycle Accidents
- Broken Accidents
- Broken Bones
- Burn Injuries
- Catastrophic Injuries
- Construction Accidents
- Construction Zone Accidents
- Defective Product Injuries
- Dog Bite and Animal Attacks
- E-Scooter Accidents
- GRTC Bus Accidents
- Head on Collisions
- Hit and Run Accidents
- Car Accidents
- Wrongful Death
- Trucking Accidents
- Motorcycle Accident
Contact Wind Law, LLC Today
Virginia law requires boat operators to report any accident that resulted in serious injury or death to the Department of Wildlife Resources. Of course, when an operator was negligent in causing an accident they may not be so eager to report it. That is why if you are the victim, it is imperative that you work with a skilled Richmond boating accidents lawyer who will serve as your advocate in obtaining fair compensation for your injuries. Contact Wind Law, LLC, today to schedule an initial consultation.